How to save energy in our homes?
Increases in the price of electricity has made energy efficiency will become increasingly important. Here are a few tips for the accounts of the light does not impact so much in their pockets. The first time I paid real attention to the term energy efficiency was in 2008, when Chile was on the verge of a crisis of power due to the lack of rain, the reduction in Argentine gas supplies, the fall of two central and record oil prices, a combination of factors, some experts called as a perfect storm.
As a solution to this complicated scenario, the government decided to conduct an energy efficiency campaign to reduce the power consumption of the population, and in passing awareness of the importance of properly use energy. The result: We ended the year with a decline of 8% in energy consumption, avoiding the dreaded rationing and learned an important lesson: we must take care of energy.
But what do we mean when we talk about energy efficiency? It means that we must do more things using the same amount of energy. To instill this in the public, the Government established the Energy Efficiency Programmed Country a couple of years later became the Chilean Energy Efficiency Agency. Given the current scenario I decided to find some tips to help us lower our bills a little light and in turn encourage us to be a little more conscious about the use of electricity. Then the data that I found most interesting.
Avoid “Consumption Vampiro”
Although, when we left our house got used to leave all electronic devices turned off, this does not continue to consume electricity as “Stand By” , which is known as “consumption Vampire” , and could amount to 10% of the electricity we use. This is because when, for example, turn off the TV it keeps some active functions such as clock, alarm scheduled, or the ability to detect a remote control, using a minimum of energy steadily. The only way to avoid this undesirable consumption is by unplugging appliances when not in use, especially when we are not all day at home. I recommend buying a basis for several outlets including a switch to turn off all appliances at once.
We recommend using the washing machine at full load, because if half load wash with the same energy we are consuming. It also serves to use liquid detergents and avoid using the dryer that requires a lot of energy, remember that the sun can do the same job. Provided that they wash with cold water, since the washer increases its consumption also having heating by electrical resistance.
Efficient light bulbs, not incandescent
As is known, incandescent bulbs are extremely inefficient, as only 10% of the energy consumed is transformed into light and the remaining 90% into heat. The efficient light bulbs, although more expensive, emit light with minimal heat and last about 6,000 hours, while the life of incandescent amounts to only 1,500 hours.
A good measure to save energy at home is using low energy equipment. The Chilean Energy Efficiency Agency, established a policy that mandates the labeling of appliances such as refrigerators and microwave ovens. The labeling functions based on a value scale ranging from “G” (least efficient) to “A + +” (maximum efficiency).
In closing, let me tell you a few days ago, Philips launched an efficient bulb 20 years of durability , quality that won her the award Bright Tomorrow Lighting Prize. Now the price is something else: $ 30 billion Chilean pesos (plop!). I hope this little list of tips on energy efficiency has served and given them new ideas on how to save energy in their homes. For those wishing to study the subject thoroughly recommends visiting the site from the Chilean Energy Efficiency Agency, which is great.